Friday, September 26, 2008

Six weeks post op

LOL !!! Never post when you're drunk or drugged!!! I decided to leave that last one just for comedic relief. Now on to the topic at hand.

Wednesday was my 6 wk post op with Dr. Klug about my knees and the appt. went really great. I didn't realize he was concerned with how the incisions themselves would heal, but he was extremely pleased with their status. He also was happy to see via the xrays that there was little or no scar tissue forming.

A concern both he and my physical therapist share is the slowness/lack of progress I seem to be making in the range of motion, without pain ... area. I'm up to 95 degrees with my left knee and 90 with my right ... but it's still only with breath robbing pain that I can get those numbers.

So Dr. Klug said there's a procedure he can do when we get back from Oregon that requires an over night in the hospital and he'll knock me out ... then manipulate my knees (ie force them to bend past the point my pain allows) to stretch out the muscles so that I can get better results myself, without so much pain.

While I'm not hot to go back to the hospital ... the idea of having him help my muscles without all the agony is tempting. So he gave me the next 4 wks to work on it myself and if I can't work past the pain he'll help out.

I'm working on changing the words I use ... today at therapy Ryan asked if it hurt ... I said it hurts so bad and he corrected me with "no, it hurt so good!!". So I'm going to try changing that, and that should help me change my outlook. Give me more strength and fortitude to push past the pain and not give up like I do now.

It's the weekend and I hope everyone has a great one!

No comments: